Super reliable long distance euro tourer

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
nastro azzurro

I've done the last 2 euros plus numerous nationals/rally's on my RB 225 complete with cyclone 5 speed.
It's been ultra reliable. Only thing I do is change gearbox oil every 500 miles or so and use good quality 2 stroke. And it's ridden like I stole it.
I think it's all to do with how it's built and set up imo.
It's nearly 8 years old and is still on original bore although I have changed the piston now, and not because it failed.
I'll be taking it to Germany next year and Italy the following year.
storkfoot
Main scooter: '70 GP150 [TS1 225]

Cast or alloy, I'm tempted to say that any well set up, and air tight, engine would be good to go.

I wouldn't fit a race exhaust, say, like a JL4 and I personally wouldn't choose anything too OTT lke an RB.

My GT186, PHBH 30, MB Clubman took me to Davos and back (just,as the exhaust fell apart on the way back but still got me home). It had no trouble in keeping up with Avantis and TS1s but used loads less fuel.

My standard TS1 225, Franspeed Supertourer, PHBH 30 has also been very reliable over many miles. I'll be using this for Germany and Italy, probably.
Timbo
Main scooter: SX200 and GP230 RT

RT 225......out of the box, plus Bgm clubman, super reliable......
nastro azzurro

Don't think the RB is ott. My friend who rides with me and has done the same amount of euros/rally's has an RB 250 and it's been great ( only one melted piston!!)
He does say that his is no quicker than my 'standard' RB..........!!
Preventive maintenance is what it's all about! ( hopefully!! )
Train Driver

In 1997 I had a freshly built MB honda 205 with a standard carb and a modified clubman. I was two's up with a tent and luggage :o :o
We went via Béziers and the minor roads along the coast through monaco and on to milan, the route home was via Vicenza the Mont Blanc Tunnel, Dijon and Reims.
My only problems were one destroyed engine mount fixed at the side of the road by cezeta using old sticks and instant gasket :ugeek:
one destroyed rim because of the mount problem and a cracked fuel tanked again fixed at the side of the road by cezeta using a sealant bought from a service station :ugeek: :ugeek:
So you can get there on a near standard scooter but leave the wife and her luggage at home :lol: take your time and take your little brother (Cezeta) with you 8-)
TS1 and PX stay in the garage (future barn finds) out on the GTS 300 when I go out on a scooter.
I know I’ll get there and back
carlos fandango

We went to milan after the Euro last year , we did around 2500 mile round trip then, France the year before taking in northern spain, this year Austria and Czech rep. :) etc..

with a couple of TSs a GT and an RB all mile munchers and all happy on the motorways as well as the A roads.
Personally i dont think it matters what "kit" you use as long as its been proven to be reliable (by yourself) if you plan to do a couple of hundred miles of a french ,german etc motorway make sure youve done it here in the uk ....motorways and fast A roads have a habit of finding weak points
I say , it dosent matter what kit , but as previously said , you dont want a too revy kit/pipe , and fuel economy has to be a consideration, we "average" 10 miles per ltr.
Taking enough oil is also a consideration , but if you know what milage you do to a ltr of fuel and a rough total mileage, then its easy to work out how much you need....carrying it is another issue !

And s**t happens so make sure you take all the spares you can :shock: speak to you companions and split/share the spares....for instance a rear hub or flywheel , chances of them going is pretty slim so you dont want everyone to carry them .
When i was young my Mom said "if you haven't got anything nice to say, say nothing at all " ..................... and people wonder why I'm quiet around them !
carlos fandango

And before any of my mates "grass" me up .......ok, mines not that reliable ! but i dont mind getting my hands dirty :D
When i was young my Mom said "if you haven't got anything nice to say, say nothing at all " ..................... and people wonder why I'm quiet around them !
eden
Dealer

Russ we have all had our moments lol

I don't think I could do it on a standard motor, I would die of boredom.

one thing carlos (Russ) stated was spares, along with spares you need to take things to help you bodge to get over unforeseen problems along the way and keep an open mind if something does go wrong, you would be amazed what you can find at the side of the road to help you get moving again till a more permanent fix can be resourced and above all, don't give up to easily if s**t does happen and don't let your riding pals give in either, it can be a real downer having to repair something in adverse weather in the middle of fooking nowhere but its worth it in the end.

Another thing is make sure the people you are riding with are of the same ilk as you, as living in each other pockets for 2 weeks on the road would soon become a nightmare with the wrong people around you.

and another big tip is....
make sure when filling up with fuel that you pay for your own fuel as it soon becomes fun paying for the most economical scooter but it really pisses the bloke off who has to end up paying for yours LOL
coaster

eden wrote:Russ we have all had our moments lol

I don't think I could do it on a standard motor, I would die of boredom.

one thing carlos (Russ) stated was spares, along with spares you need to take things to help you bodge to get over unforeseen problems along the way and keep an open mind if something does go wrong, you would be amazed what you can find at the side of the road to help you get moving again till a more permanent fix can be resourced and above all, don't give up to easily if s**t does happen and don't let your riding pals give in either, it can be a real downer having to repair something in adverse weather in the middle of fooking nowhere but its worth it in the end.

Another thing is make sure the people you are riding with are of the same ilk as you, as living in each other pockets for 2 weeks on the road would soon become a nightmare with the wrong people around you.

and another big tip is....
make sure when filling up with fuel that you pay for your own fuel as it soon becomes fun paying for the most economical scooter but it really pisses the bloke off who has to end up paying for yours LOL
I agree with all of that 8-)
Adam_Winstone
Main scooter: Lambretta GP

My 2 quickest Euro tourers have been a standard TS1 and an iron 225 (very mild porting, 24mm reamed Dellorto and RS clubman). One was considerably thirstier than the other ;)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information