NEW STRENGTHENED LAYSHAFT

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
Strummer10
Main scooter: Lambretta LI Special 225

With quite a few stories of layshafts shearing has anyone any idea where I can get a 'Bona Fide' top quality one and how much and have any tests been done that anyone knows of to prove they do the job ?
corrado
Dealer
Main scooter: Lambretta GP

I can only think of 3 new ones available, SIL, Casa and MB. You'd need to ask them what testing they've done.
fairspares
Main scooter: Lambretta GP RB252

has anyone ever had a layshaft shear?
Fairspares Lambretta workshop.
Strummer10

two of my mates have within last 6 months......hence my concern.....Must be the torque on the kits now being passed through that thin 50 yr old shaft
Strummer10

Cheers Corrado........I was gonna do a strip out to deal with a leaking gasket on the chaincase so wanted to invest in a strengthened layshaft whilst I have her opened up
fairspares
Main scooter: Lambretta GP RB252

ive just done a search and a topic on this came up, ive been using sil ones from af in my sprint motors for the past 5 years and in road engines and have never had layshaft issues, i can only think that there are some crap copys out there like many other lambretta parts being sold on ebay.
Fairspares Lambretta workshop.
Strummer10

Hi Fairspares.........To be fair both my lammies have the original Innocenti layshafts in them at present and no actual issues noted but in the 80s I never once heard of a layshaft shearing but now it seems more common. I never personally buy anything from Ebay and would always go to a reputed dealer for all my spares
barnsleybilly
Main scooter: Li200

most plausible answer is probably metal fatigue. Given Innocenti layshafts are 42 years old at best they'd be at the end of their lives if they had a fatigue index like an aircraft.

I've used SIL with no problems and I've an MB one in now but i found that incredibly tight in the bearing.
Adam_Winstone
Main scooter: Lambretta GP

Mine on the way to this year's Euro was the only one I've experience and that was a perfect condition Innocenti item.
vespanic

My mate's snapped on his series 2 last year on IW. His was a genuine Innocenti layshaft.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information