EGT gauge question

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
Monty
Main scooter: Series 1 Muggy, Imola Special

Are you connected to ac or dc. Is your bike running a wassell type conversion or are you running off a battery. I am running the same gauge and its a wassell now with a battery. The battery helps to smooth out the erratic voltage at low or high revs. Try connecting it only to the battery and see if its stable. Run the bike and see if it climbs off 0. The gauge is pretty simple it does need a dc feed and a ground and the sensor will only go 1 way or the other. Not connected it should go to max.
alanscottj
Main scooter: Lambretta GP SS250 Casa

Monty wrote:Are you connected to ac or dc. Is your bike running a wassell type conversion or are you running off a battery. I am running the same gauge and its a wassell now with a battery. The battery helps to smooth out the erratic voltage at low or high revs. Try connecting it only to the battery and see if its stable. Run the bike and see if it climbs off 0. The gauge is pretty simple it does need a dc feed and a ground and the sensor will only go 1 way or the other. Not connected it should go to max.
Sorry for sounding thick but how will I know if it's ac or dc? I don't have a battery.
Lambretta Series 2 Rat - RB260, SuperTourer, Cyclone 5 gearbox ๐Ÿ˜Ž๐Ÿ‘
Monty

I think we all mentioned very early on that these gauges will only work with DC. If you are running a standard scooter its AC. I know a few have done poor mans DC conversions with a small regulator BGM do one that will charge a battery or you could try one of the modcharger type things designed to charge a phone. The Wassel is a simple replacement regulator that after an extra wire is added to your stator changes the whole bike to DC. This opens a big range of things you can do to a Lambretta bringing the electrics up to car standard. Well nearly.
alanscottj

Monty wrote:I think we all mentioned very early on that these gauges will only work with DC. If you are running a standard scooter its AC. I know a few have done poor mans DC conversions with a small regulator BGM do one that will charge a battery or you could try one of the modcharger type things designed to charge a phone. The Wassel is a simple replacement regulator that after an extra wire is added to your stator changes the whole bike to DC. This opens a big range of things you can do to a Lambretta bringing the electrics up to car standard. Well nearly.
I do have one of those mod charger units on my scoot. Do I power the gauge unit from the mod charger then???
Monty

I have not used one but it should be outputting a DC voltage of some form. You can measure the output with a voltmeter set to DC. I dont know if they do a full 12V or if its full DC but as you have it measure it. Find out what side is positive and negative and connect your gauge feed.
alanscottj

Monty wrote:I have not used one but it should be outputting a DC voltage of some form. You can measure the output with a voltmeter set to DC. I dont know if they do a full 12V or if its full DC but as you have it measure it. Find out what side is positive and negative and connect your gauge feed.
Done it. When I connect the wires one way the needle stays on 0 and if I swap them the needle goes to 7 on the gauge and then off the scale when I use the throttle :?

I put the wires so that the needle was on 0 and went for a spin to see if it moved and it didn't :(

According to the website the Modcharger puts out 12v DC :-)
Monty

You seem to pick and choose what parts of the help you are going to use. You need a voltmeter to see what your mod charger is kicking out. It may be dc it may be 12v but I doubt if its smoothed in anyway as its designed to use a phone charger plugged in these will try and regulate so they dont blow the phone. Try a voltmeter. It will tell you exactly what you are getting.
alanscottj

Monty wrote:You seem to pick and choose what parts of the help you are going to use. You need a voltmeter to see what your mod charger is kicking out. It may be dc it may be 12v but I doubt if its smoothed in anyway as its designed to use a phone charger plugged in these will try and regulate so they dont blow the phone. Try a voltmeter. It will tell you exactly what you are getting.
I'm picking the bits I can do right away :D Lol : I don't have a volt meter :-(

From the Modcharger website :

"The Modchargerโ„ข simply connects to the AC regulator on your scooter. It then uses a bridge rectifier, smoothing circuit and voltage regulator to produce safe, constant, 12V DC supply capable of charging your accessories up to 1 Amp. "
a.j

Mine worked perfectly for a few days then did exactly what you have described. I started the scoot up & the needle on the gauge shot to max. I complained & got a new one, yet to fit it.

Hope this helps.

:lol:
alanscottj

alanscottj wrote:
Monty wrote:You seem to pick and choose what parts of the help you are going to use. You need a voltmeter to see what your mod charger is kicking out. It may be dc it may be 12v but I doubt if its smoothed in anyway as its designed to use a phone charger plugged in these will try and regulate so they dont blow the phone. Try a voltmeter. It will tell you exactly what you are getting.
Ok, I have bought myself a voltmeter this morning. The Modcharger is producing 12v DC and this does not go up or down in line with my throttle/revs, it stays stable. As you mentioned earlier, if I disconnect the probe wires the dial goes off the gauge. When it is all connected and I start the engine, this morning, the dial reads 7 at idle and climbs to off scale when I increase the revs. Could my probe be damaged as someone has suggested previously?

Ta
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information