Cheap and reliable electronic ignition

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
jason frost
Dealer

mick1 wrote:I'm led to believe.... :? that the new BGM flywheels aren't working with Augustos, M-Techs and the like. Unless there is a bespoke advance/retard unit that works with the flywheel then you're stuck with static ignition.
Mine works fine with KyTronic
Minority
Main scooter: Li230 S3

jason frost wrote:
mick1 wrote:I'm led to believe.... :? that the new BGM flywheels aren't working with Augustos, M-Techs and the like. Unless there is a bespoke advance/retard unit that works with the flywheel then you're stuck with static ignition.
Mine works fine with KyTronic
Good to know Jason. I would have thought that if there was going to a problem it would be with the stator or CDI as that's what the advance/retard units connect to directly.
jonashford
Main scooter: Lambretta SX RB235

My bgm flywheel didnt work with a kytronic, and someone else tried to use it without any advance retard unit and didnt work at all for him, its gone back to bgm
victor
Main scooter: Tv175 but currently a SS210 :)

jonashford wrote:My bgm flywheel didnt work with a kytronic, and someone else tried to use it without any advance retard unit and didnt work at all for him, its gone back to bgm
I have difficulties seeing why different flywheels wouldn't work; after all the only thing they do is to provide a pulse when the ignition is supposed to fire off.

The charging of the CDI and coil happens outside of that circuit, doesn't go through the kytronic.

The kytronic depending on rev and setting then delays that pulse for a brief moment before sending it on to the CDI...

Getting slightly worried as i'm planning both an ignition and kytronic upgrade shortly...
Doom Patrol
Main scooter: Jet 200
Location: Second star on the right and straight on till morning

hendy
Main scooter: lambretta li 125

victor wrote:
jonashford wrote:My bgm flywheel didnt work with a kytronic, and someone else tried to use it without any advance retard unit and didnt work at all for him, its gone back to bgm
I have difficulties seeing why different flywheels wouldn't work; after all the only thing they do is to provide a pulse when the ignition is supposed to fire off.

The charging of the CDI and coil happens outside of that circuit, doesn't go through the kytronic.

The kytronic depending on rev and setting then delays that pulse for a brief moment before sending it on to the CDI...

Getting slightly worried as i'm planning both an ignition and kytronic upgrade shortly...
you're dead right. The stator/flywheel combo does two distinctly different things: one is to generate electricity by passing wire coils through magnetic fields (some of this is used for lighting etc. and some for creating a spark thereby making a fuel/air mixture go bang); the other function is to 'tell' the CDI when to use the electricity which was generated for making fuel/air go bang when to let the spark be released into the combustion chamber and releasing Armageddon on the piston crown.

there is NO reason why an advance/retard system would work with one stator/flywheel and not another. If you were so inclined (or mad enough) you could even use an external advance/retard system with a stator/CDI which had an in-built advance/retard system. This of course would be ridiculous and may even create a black-hole or one of the events often seen on 'the regular show' (reference only suitable for those with kids between 6 and 12).
jonashford
Main scooter: Lambretta SX RB235

victor wrote:

Yeah me too thats why I spent 2 hours of my life trying to get it to work! Then Someone whos ridden more miles than I can even think about gave it a few hours too then he gave up, All I can tell u is the one I got didnt work.
Minority
Main scooter: Li230 S3

I noticed that Kytronic have introduced the Smartbooster 2 minus the "Spark Magnifier" technology to increase compatability. Still think it would have more to do with stator/CDI compatability than flywheel.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information