Peter James breakdown Insurance

General scooter chat, any scooter related non technical info.
poppygun
Playstation gamer tag: poppygun
Main scooter: GP200 1969

Hi all
Is Peter James Euro breakdown cover any good? if i do breakdown in europe
this year.This is the cover that you get with your motor insurance policy
Anybody had any dealings with this and is it any good or should i get some more cover
any recommendations
Thanks Poppygun
Knowledge
Dealer
Main scooter: GP

I have never heard of Peter James Insurance, but I would be very wary of any recovery bundled into your regular insurance, especially for international recovery.

Many bundled-in breakdown packages are little more than a man (or woman) who looks at your scooter and if they can't fix it at the side of the road, they will transport you and the scooter a maximum of 20 miles to a garage where you can then arrange your own recovery to home. You may be charged storage until the scooter is removed from the garage.

Ok, the above scenario may be a bit extreme, butter it is not untypical, so you need to read the smallprint.

I will also pass a word of caution of about continental recovery insurance schemes: these are the schemes that are NOT bundled into your domestic insurance. If you are a long way from home, and the scooter suffers a terminal failure, the recovery insurance may not recover your scooter to the UK. They may have a clause in the small print that says that if the cost of insurance exceeds a specified (or unspecified) sum, they will write-off the scooter and scrap it. It won't matter to your recovery insurance company that you have an agreed value domestic insurance policy for £8,000, if it costs them £2,000 to recover an old scooter from Europe, they might decide to scrap your scooter.

You can get guaranteed recovery to UK policies, but they are hard to find and expensive (for a reason)

I hope your Peter James policy does everything you want by way of recovery, but even if someone says "yeah, it's fine", read the small print. This is not time to be complacent.
Martin
rosscla
Main scooter: Lambretta

I rang them on a recommendation from the club site, was told they don't insure scooters...
"Our dilemma is that we hate change and love it at the same time; what we really want is for things to remain the same but get better."
Chris in Margate
Main scooter: Lambretta 1964 225 Special

Peter James come highly recommended and have been an established Insurance underwriter posted and discussed on this and other forums for a long time now so there is no need whatsoever to be wary of them.

I have been insured with them for 2 years.
I wonder why you should "be wary of any recovery bundled into your regular insurance". That is really bad misinformation and the record needs putting straight.
Carole Nash and Footman James offer exactly the same package.

Rest easy; they are nice people to deal with.
terryj
Main scooter: li 125

had my scoot insured with them for a few years now and way cheaper than footman james as well
Doom Patrol
Main scooter: Jet 200
Location: Second star on the right and straight on till morning

rosscla wrote:I rang them on a recommendation from the club site, was told they don't insure scooters...
b@5t@rds! Do you mean to tell me they've been taking my money these last few years for nothing? :shock:
rosscla

Doom Patrol wrote:
rosscla wrote:I rang them on a recommendation from the club site, was told they don't insure scooters...
b@5t@rds! Do you mean to tell me they've been taking my money these last few years for nothing? :shock:

Isn't that the case with all insurance companies?

Seriously though, that's what I was told when I rang them. do you have something else insured with them?
"Our dilemma is that we hate change and love it at the same time; what we really want is for things to remain the same but get better."
Meds
Main scooter: Li125s

Try them again Ross
I insured my 2 with them last week no quibble.
£111, 6 breakdowns per scoot, £15.75 to make a change, £50 excess
As opposed to Carol Nash
£150- 4 breakdowns, £40 to make a change, no excess.
The main reason I changed was the excessive admin charge.
If you have 3 months left and want to make a channge, the cost of the change is worth more than the policy.
rosscla

The conversation went like this -

Me: I'm looking to insure my Lambretta and my Vespa

Them: We don't insure Scooters

Me: Are you sure? I was recommended to ask you by an LCGB member

Them: No, we don't insure scooters

Even if they do (and the LCGB is in their club list) the answers don't inspire confidence...
yozzer
Main scooter: gp200

they certainly do insure scooters and ive been with them for years, as said before are cheaper than carole nash and footman james.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information