And todays cockup is !???

General scooter chat, any scooter related non technical info.
johnny LIS150
Main scooter: 1964 Lambretta LIS150 special

epic ! :lol: :lol: :lol:
mickymidas
Main scooter: Vespa Rally /P200

After my last respray & rebuild having fitted a new wiring loom , the Rally just would not start .As I hadn't touched the engine, after a week of head scratching I decided it must be electrical/wiring. retraced my steps and found that I had actually taped the alternative stop & earth wire for the under seat ignition switch together ,so permanently switched off.... Doh :P
2Ronnies sc.......Chuckleism is the way forward
Marty ULC
Main scooter: curry burner GP225 mugello

Just finished fitting a new rear hub bearing and about to take her out for a test ride when I spotted a W clip on the bench.....
:oops:
Ian Hepworth

When I lived in London it was in a terraced house so the scooters lived in the front garden and that was where all maintainence was done. I was changing the clutch on my t5 and, as was his habit, my dear late Dad came out to sit on the garden wall and watch me work.

All went well, I stood the scooter back up, put the panels back on and got my helmet on for a test ride.

My Dad pipes up "there's something on the floor" - clutch nut tab washer!
Ian Hepworth

Again, when living in London, I had a few mates at Uni in Leeds so I used to often pop up to see them for a weekend on the t5.
Riding up the A1 I could hear a really odd noise like a high pitched whistle.
The scooter was running ok but I had blown up a couple of top ends so I was being cautious.

Stopped at a little chef for a coffee and a think and ended up stripping the top end, changing the base gasket and torquing the head up.

Noise still didn't go away so decided to be a bit more scientific, revving engine on the stand. I had the toolbox open and grabbed a foot long Philips screwdriver I kept in the toolbox. The noise stopped, the screwdriver had been shorting out the indicator bleeper which caused a noise that got louder with the revs.
Ian Hepworth

Not long after starting working at MB Mark did an engine rebuild for a lad from Essex.
This lad fitted the engine and was having no end of problems setting it up, it wouldn't rev out, all sorts.
Cue about 2 weeks of phone calls, try this, what about that etc.
Customer started getting abusive and threatening legal action so Mark said bring the bike up, I'll sort it.
But customer didn't have a van so his Dad took a day off work to trailer it up to Doncaster.
They turned up, atmosphere was a little frosty to say the least.
Mark went for a quick spin round the estate, did a little tinkering and said "there it's sorted, have a try"

Customer and his Dad refused to believe it could be sorted so quick until Mark explained they had put the gear cables the wrong way round. Quick further tinker with air screw and tick over and scooter was finished.

I bet the silence was deafening on the way home.
Den 08
Main scooter: lambretta Gp 225

back in the day had a rally 200 due for mot local lad scooter guru said leave it with me i'll sort it for you, comes home from work top man spence!
on me way into town driving at about 40 back end drops, I am now a passenger and bike is sideways and scrapping to other side of road kept it upright more
luck than skill stops in kerb looks down, back wheel up inside of frame, bloke comes of out of house after hearing noise and asks are you alright mate
and then proceeds to tell me how it happens all the time with those scooters :twisted: any how bike failed Mot back brakes no good spence being a good sort
thought new brake shoes all done and good, forgot castellated washer and split pin on main wheel nut. lesson learned, NOT really :roll:
johnny LIS150
Main scooter: 1964 Lambretta LIS150 special

Ian Hepworth wrote:Not long after starting working at MB Mark did an engine rebuild for a lad from Essex.
This lad fitted the engine and was having no end of problems setting it up, it wouldn't rev out, all sorts.
Cue about 2 weeks of phone calls, try this, what about that etc.
Customer started getting abusive and threatening legal action so Mark said bring the bike up, I'll sort it.
But customer didn't have a van so his Dad took a day off work to trailer it up to Doncaster.
They turned up, atmosphere was a little frosty to say the least.
Mark went for a quick spin round the estate, did a little tinkering and said "there it's sorted, have a try"

Customer and his Dad refused to believe it could be sorted so quick until Mark explained they had put the gear cables the wrong way round. Quick further tinker with air screw and tick over and scooter was finished.

I bet the silence was deafening on the way home.
brilliant... :lol:
Livi- Graeme
Main scooter: Lambretta li 185 series 2

Yesterday we decided to go for a jaunt around the Scottish Borders. Pulled out the skellie turned on the fuel and turned the choke lever. Twelve kicks later nothing. Put hand over open carb mouth and a couple of kicks later it fires.carb Must be blocked. Anyway goes on run and I will clean carb later. Fast forward to today and pull out said scooter to clean the carb and what do I find? I'd forgot it's got a flip choke fitted on the carb. What a Fud!!!!!!!!!
Timbo
Main scooter: SX200 and GP230 RT

I went for a ride a couple of days ago and the scoot was really boggy, I was gutted as I was running in a newly fitted engine....after 5 miles I stopped to have a look and saw that the choke was still on... :oops: ...in my defence I've never done that before...... :roll:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information