Vespa ET4 125cc - Very weird start issue!

FAQ tech questions, please check if the answer to your question is in here before posting elsewhere.
Harryandrew89
Main scooter: Vespa 125

Hi everyone,

Got my first scooter a month back, Vespa ET4 125cc, 1999. Goes as fast as I need it to in London, the idle feels a bit 'lumpy' but otherwise it runs fine and looks great.

The issue i've been having is that it won't start after any journey.
So for example; first thing in the morning I tap the starter and it jumps into life, I get to work fine - coming back home 8 hours later it also starts fine. But at the end of either of those journeys it refuses to start - i've tried no throttle, half throttle, kickstarting, allsorts. The shortest amount of time between starts has been three hours so far..

Any help or suggestions anyone could provide would be greatly appreciated.. I've searched far and wide and have not found anything similar to this problem so far. My shot in the dark is the Carb? too much fuel getting in there? Unfortunately i'm not mechanically versed yet so I'm useless at this stage! But i'm keen to get started otherwise I would have got an Oyster card..

Please ask if I haven't given enough technical info..

Thanks,
Harry
  • Information