Lambretta legshield repair

Anything related to paint & bodywork issues on scooters....
tippo88

I'm in the process of re-restoring an LI 125 that's been the subject of a "budget" restoration here in Malaysia. The legshields have a couple of issues. The floor panel areas have rusted through in the past and been poorly repaired ( looks great from the top though :D ) but I don't think it will be an issue to cut these areas out and have new steel welded in. More of a concern is that the "lip" around the outside of the legshield that the rubber beading fits onto is completely missing , I assume it was either damaged or rusted and the budget solution was to simply cut if off.
Does anyone have any advice as to whether its feasible to repair this and if so how? I would really like to restore to look original complete with legshield beading, but if that's not possible I guess I'll have to make the lack of beading a feature!

Thanks in advance.

Tippo
LI150
Main scooter: Series 2 LI150

It's either a very good metal fabricater or replacement ones by the sounds of it. I expect replacement are not that straight forward to come by from Malaysia good luck
onthelam
Main scooter: not yet

The barn job I looked at had corroded edges to the leg shields. If you look at new beading you will see that the edge is not hugely shaped. I think I would experiment with glue. Malaysia is not so different from Thailand and in truth any decent car panel beater will be able to quickly recreate a radiused edge if shown the beading to get the size and rough radius. No one will notice that the leg shields are slightly smaller. After all the original AF S scooters had slightly cut down ones.
tippo88

Thanks. For the responses. I'll give a local panel beater a try. I quite like the slightly slimmed down look in fact. Can anyone point me to some pictures of early S type with trimmed legshields as I might well try and copy the look.

Cheers

Tippo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
tippo88

As it turned out the lip hadn't been cut off at all just bent over and masses of filler applied. Floor section had steel welded on top of the corroded metal and a bunch more filler. AzmiScooters is currently sorting it all for me. Loads of filler being removed from side panels as well. Will be much lighter ! ImageImageImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Grumpy225
Main scooter: Gori200, rt195, ld150,rb20

That looks like a GP legshield worked over to fit a LI frame. Good luck with it.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information