Wraps and dips

Anything related to paint & bodywork issues on scooters....
sydduckett

Was thinking about getting some parts coated in carbon fibre (see pretend carbon fibre). Well after looking into it there appears to be a plethora( ;) ) of methods, products out there. I was going to send them off to be done but it's not that cheap and there seems to be a DIY alternative to all the services on offer.

So I thought I would list all the options I have found out about and see what the great unwashed of scooterotica think of each, feel free to add any I haven't listed.

Carbon fibre effect flexible sheets with 3m adhesive, sticks straight on the part. cheapest and possibly easiest to fit but will it look any good.

Proper carbon fibre flexible sheets, requires sanding of part, hardeners, hairdryers and lacquer. Takes a few days to do a part with drying times and may be numerous opportunities for cock ups.

Carbon effect dipping. choose your pattern and simply dip the item in sheet soaked in large container. Looks relatively easy to do but I suspect it could take a couple of goes to get the hang of it.

Sef
Trojan
Main scooter: LAMBRETTA INNOCENTI

Too be honest Sef, I bought the sheet form from flea bay making sure it was the anti creasing type that the air can be pushed out, something to do with the type of pattern on the back of the sheet, prepped the panels so no grease or anything else, left the panels in a warm place for a day or two, then used a heat gun, sprayed the panels with a mist of soapy water and put the pieces after cutting roughly the sizes , using a sponge and all went well, legshields where done by two pieces and joined at the back gulley part where it fits behind the fork tube, have a look as there is plenty to choose from even flip effect colours....... 8-)
sydduckett

Trojan wrote:Too be honest Sef, I bought the sheet form from flea bay making sure it was the anti creasing type that the air can be pushed out, something to do with the type of pattern on the back of the sheet, prepped the panels so no grease or anything else, left the panels in a warm place for a day or two, then used a heat gun, sprayed the panels with a mist of soapy water and put the pieces after cutting roughly the sizes , using a sponge and all went well, legshields where done by two pieces and joined at the back gulley part where it fits behind the fork tube, have a look as there is plenty to choose from even flip effect colours....... 8-)
Thanks for the info, after looking at it I'm going to give the hydro graphics a go. May even turn into a sideline if I can get the hang of it... :D
wurzel
Main scooter: TV 175 / JET 200

Tried the home hydro graphics on some series 2 parts and getting the right sheets,keeping the water to the right
temperature and getting the right activator to make the process work is no mean feat.
Many £s later and have had a quote to get it done properly.
Anyway, should never admit defeat until you've tried it.
On that note the design I was after was a complex one and was told I may have trouble getting decent sheets as they
aren't as widely available as the likes of carbon fibre effect etc.
LI150
Main scooter: Series 2 LI150

I tried wrapping. I was crap at it. Its not as easy as you tube makes out
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information