Smallblock Conversions

FAQ tech questions, please check if the answer to your question is in here before posting elsewhere.
GeorgeS
Main scooter: 1961 Series II Granturismo 240

Hello,

Looking at options for my small block engine casing and wondered if there are any strong opinions either way on having them converted to large block spacing.

Some months ago I asked Oiltek for pricing and I think it was around the £250 mark. I'm thinking that that could be around 10% of the overall price of a decent engine and as it allows the larger cc kits it's not a bad cost for the potential increase in power.

I guess my question is, do you get a lot more fun on the road comparing a small block 195/200 to a large block 225/250? And, has anyone gone for this & can comment on how it went for them.

All the best,
George.
cgt75b
Main scooter: lambretta

Hi George

Get the conversion done you won't regret it.

Good luck.
gaz_powell

i had an indian 125/150 converted by Oiltek - top job done

I would go with the conversion over a small block kit personally

At £250 it appears to gone up considerable

Mine was the same cast as 200cc so only needed the holes plugging and redrilling then the spigot enlarging no extra welding required around the mouth which is required on small block italian.
Mine was half that price but was a minimal work type
HxPaul
Main scooter: lambretta Li 150

Mike phoenix,converts 125/150 cases to 200 for £178.
hendy
Main scooter: lambretta li 125

I dropped my cases with oiltek on Saturday. I'm of the same opinion that it's well worth opening up opportunities. I'll be spending a small fortune on this engine (as we all do) so compromising it by being restricted to what's available for small cases seems illogical to me.

To be honest, I can't remember the exact price we agreed, but it was £180 for the casing mods plus a normal price for vapour blasting; £50 springs to mind.
Last edited by hendy on Mon Oct 19, 2015 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hendy
Main scooter: lambretta li 125

HxPaul wrote:Mike phoenix,converts 125/150 cases to 200 for £178.
I spoke to him last week and he wanted £325 but that included blasting and delivery. Also it incuded £50 extra as I don't have the late Spanish casings with more meat on them.
HxPaul
Main scooter: lambretta Li 150

I got an email from Mike Phoenix today.I asked him if the price quoted for case conversion only applied to Spanish cases.His reply was the price quoted,£149.00 plus VAT is for all small block cases.
sydduckett

If you want to beat a ts then go for a small block rb20, they will eat all standard kits... :D
Lamaddict

I got one done by CS Engineering. It was a very neat job and they also vapor blasted the casing.
shocky

hendy wrote:I dropped my cases with oiltek on Saturday. I'm of the same opinion that it's well worth opening up opportunities. I'll be spending a small fortune on this engine (as we all do) so compromising it by being restricted to what's available for small cases seems illogical to me.

To be honest, I can't remember the exact price we agreed, but it was £180 for the casing mods plus a normal price for vapour blasting; £50 springs to mind.
Mine should be back next week ill post some pics it cost me 190 inc delivery
We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information