Points Timing

FAQ tech questions, please check if the answer to your question is in here before posting elsewhere.
Chris in Margate
Main scooter: Lambretta 1964 225 Special

Personally when things like this don"t go as they should, I start all over again.

I know you're sick of the sight of it but redo your TDC mark. If you have an adjustable stop, turn it into the piston a little more and go clockwise and anti clockwise a few times and re-establish your midway point as TDC.
Source another set of points or consider taking a little bit off the cam; yours are opening far too early.
Get the gap as small as you can to start.....try a cigarette paper folded over or a strip of paper. Rotate CLOCKWISE several times and check again.
Muppet
Main scooter: SX 150 running in

bristolmod wrote:points 6V?- strobe 12V?
makes no diference
C’est la vie
philz
Main scooter: Lambretta Li150

Yea back to the start for me put stator back to last known running position and start with check TDC new points n condensor. Been advised I can fit a condensor in the loom but where does it connect in?
Chris in Margate
Main scooter: Lambretta 1964 225 Special

Any joy yet ?
philz

Got it nearer the firing point about 23deg but still not firing. Bought Italian points good quality and forced em to the end of the slot. If I move the stator a little more I guess I could get it correct but ordered a 12v kit now. Just got fed up with it.
bristolmod
Main scooter: Lambretta TV175 S3- what else!
Location: Bali-Hai bar, Locarno Ballroom Bristol, 1967!- mines a Brown Split!!

something was definately wrong there- on a normal set up with a correct gap, then the stator should be roughly in the middle of its slots to fire at around 19/21 degrees. The fact that you have to put it right at the end of the slots to get anywhere near the correct firing point indicates that either the points are the wrong type; the gap at the top of the cam is incorrect; or your TDC mark is wrong.

Irrelevent now that you've got a 12v electronic however.

Having said that, I ran a Muggelo on points for years without missing a beat.

Chris
Scootering since 1968.
philz

Would have liked to keep the points. The TDC was checked with head off and on and using the positive stop method so I know that is correct. Points are correct as previously fitted and supplied by a reputable dealer. It could be the cam worn as it is a 63 with 30,000km on the clock. Will probably keep tinkering until the kit comes. Just a thought the earth cable is oxidised so I considered that there may be some resistance in that and will change it.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information