et2 poor cold starting

Anything related to Lambretta or Vespa Scooters fitted with LC, Motorcycle and/or Auto engines!
crooky
Main scooter: 1960 series 2 li stg 4 175

Hi everyone posting this for a young lad at work bought a ET 2 takes ages to cold start took it back to garage had a new carb fitted by shop still same. Changed cdi and brand new battery. It starts easier when warm was wondering if his compression could be low and showing when cold. He's a bit brassed off and ready to get rid. Any help would be much appreciated thanks. Being a lammy man dont know much about these but will get additional info if required thanks again.
Crooky
The man who doesn't read has no advantage over the man who can't read
col68
Main scooter: lambretta s2 li225 ts1

Could be crank seals going . Is plug wet or dry when trying to start . Had that problem with my son piaggio nrg . Engine are about the same could be piston rings or split inlet rubber . Carb feeds in to crank case and petrol being heavier than air it wont suck petrol from crank in to piston . Crank seals seem to last 15000 miles . Has it done alot of miles. Just fitted a new engine that had done 4500 miles and its fine now . This is second time had this problem with it bike done 27000 miles his brother had it before him . Hope this helps . col
crooky

Thanks for the reply will check the miles I was thinking split rubber or rings I'll have a look thanks again for the info
fairspares
Main scooter: Lambretta GP RB252

i would have thought the first thing to check is the automatic choke that has a plunger that moves when ign turned on , these quite often can get stuck or just not work. was this replaced when new carb fitted?
Fairspares Lambretta workshop.
crooky

That was my initial thought I'll check that is it simple enough to check thanks
wack 63
Main scooter: '71 GP TS1

The automatic choke is on all the time until the motor is started then an electrical current is fed to the choke which causes a capsule to expand pushing the choke plunger down and shutting off the choke jet so I doubt that is linked to the cold start problem.An easy way to check is when the bike is started it will stutter when riding off until the choke shuts off and the motor clears,or remove the choke from the carb body then turn on the ignition and thru measurement you should see the plunger lengthen. With the underseat tub removed and the motor running, spray brake cleaner onto the inlet manifold.If the motor changes tune then the rubber has perished and there is an air leak,also the fuel vacuum tap may be faulty.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information