First scoot & first restoration

If you want to tell us about or ask about a standard spec or restoration project....post it here.
Wulfy66
Main scooter: Looking for first scoot

Hi all

I am considering buying my first scoot (1966 125 special) and wondered am I mad, no, whilst stripping it down for the body work etc should I consider doing the 12v upgrade and larger top end whilst I'm at it? The seller shop said the engine turns over but not had it running.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Cheers

Andy
shocky

Id get it going if possible spend the least amount of money on it (but dont by sh1t of ebay)ride it around and get a feel for it as it might not be what you want after a few months , and cosmetically you may change your mind and keep it as is , but ultimately its your scooter , as for the engine well you can spend 1000, s depends what you want out of it decide that then work backwards(but dont buy off ebay) , many people got the 12v 175 route then decide they want more and have to replace the crank and get another flywheel bearings seals etc and then sell there "kit" on , above all enjoy and ask questions on here and other forums did I mention dont buy off ebay ?
We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm
shocky

Wulfy66 wrote:Hi all

I am considering buying my first scoot (1966 125 special) and wondered am I mad, no, whilst stripping it down for the body work etc should I consider doing the 12v upgrade and larger top end whilst I'm at it? The seller shop said the engine turns over but not had it running.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Cheers

Andy
if you put your location on your profile some friendly local scooterist might be able to offer help and assistance and recomend dealers to use and avoid ;)
We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm
Wulfy66

The dealer I'm looking at is Scooter Emporium in London.
I'm looking at a project bike to do some bonding with my 16yr old who is mod scooter mad. I am buying him one of those 50cc AJS Modena's to get him to music college in September and thought we could take a year to restore the 125 Lammy together and possibly hand it over to him at the end.
Daggs

That's a great gesture.
So do as little as necessary, keep it at 125cc and let him find his way on it.
Wulfy66

Update;

Well the strip down has begun, hardest bit was trying to wrestle with all the seized nuts n bolts on the small trim parts. Discovered quickly it was not worth trying to save them and either shear them off or dremmel to the rescue. 50% of the trim is off and the is engine out and ready to go for a full rebuild and blast n polish. Also had to take a few car loads of rubbish from the garage to the tip!

Found the original colour whilst doing this, a pale blue (only ever made in 2 colours (according to the guy at Scotopia - White and the pale blue).
Now having thoughts to putting her back to how she left the factory although my boy is not so keen.
bristolmod
Main scooter: Lambretta TV175 S3- what else!
Location: Bali-Hai bar, Locarno Ballroom Bristol, 1967!- mines a Brown Split!!

looking good!

kust a suggestion- when stripping down don't throw anything away as replacement bits are sometimes/ often worse than the old originals.

Chris (Bradley Stoke)
Scootering since 1968.
Wulfy66

bristolmod wrote:looking good!

kust a suggestion- when stripping down don't throw anything away as replacement bits are sometimes/ often worse than the old originals.

Chris (Bradley Stoke)
Thanks Chris, the only things I have thrown was the rubber strips on the floorboards that were either broken or had perished. A couple of the aluminium strips that these rubbers sit in were also not worth keeping.

I will pm you as I'm sure I will need your help/advice when it comes to putting it back together :)
bristolmod
Main scooter: Lambretta TV175 S3- what else!
Location: Bali-Hai bar, Locarno Ballroom Bristol, 1967!- mines a Brown Split!!

I used to find that the day after I threw out some old scooter bits, I needed them- hence my garage is full of crap!! :D

I'm off on hols tomorrow for 14 days- please feel free to shout when I'm bach. What part of BS are you?

Chris
Scootering since 1968.
Wulfy66

bristolmod wrote:I used to find that the day after I threw out some old scooter bits, I needed them- hence my garage is full of crap!! :D

I'm off on hols tomorrow for 14 days- please feel free to shout when I'm bach. What part of BS are you?

Chris
Have PM'd you, where abouts are you going on hols? We go away this Saturday for 2 weeks
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information