My Pride & Joy

Post pics & videos of your scooter, projects you're working on, a lovely Vespa that you saw at a rally, or anything else scooter related.
GLscoot
Main scooter: Vespa GS150

lambrusco wrote:I was working in Bearsden today and the plumber said he seen this on the way to the job. He said it was a Volvo that was involved.

Hector.
The car I hit was a Suzuki Vitara, I think the car behind me was a Volvo.

24hrs later the disappointment is still there, I should have been able to avoid this accident and have only myself to blame. On the scooter front, my friend who works for a insurance company on the car damage side said the legsheild & mudguard are both repairable, which is what I wanted to hear. There will be dents and creases that will still be visible, but that aint going to bother me and just adds to the 55 year history of the frame. The only disappointment is I will have to look at it for a good few months before I take it of the road, I should get the worst of it done and still be able to ride it, but it is going to be stripped and recovered in the clear powder coat.

Cheers Gary
carlos fandango

:( Gutted for you mate :(
When i was young my Mom said "if you haven't got anything nice to say, say nothing at all " ..................... and people wonder why I'm quiet around them !
GLscoot

Well I got my scooter back from the panel beaters today and for £40, I think he has done a bloody good job. If it wasn't for the flaking powder coat I don't think you would notice.

ImageIMG_3686 by GLscoot, on Flickr

ImageIMG_3687 by GLscoot, on Flickr

ImageIMG_3690 by GLscoot, on Flickr
ducksta

you got a result there m8, + spare wheel etc hides the inner
live life your a long time dead
Shaunbond

40 well spent Gary. Glad its getting sorted out
Serial scooter rider...
VMSC Committed to Scootering for 25 years
ducksta

could you have the powder coat colour matched then sprayed and buffed?
live life your a long time dead
GLscoot

Yeah, made me happy and I even forgot about my injuries. Will give it a spray with AF60 stuff to stop the rust attacking it to quickly. The seam of the horn cover will need attention and probably a bead of weld when I strip it down over the winter. The crash wasn't all bad news, when I was inspecting the frame I noticed on the underside of the floor pan there were small rust spots appearing along the frame supports, the coater said this would happen, I did plan on painting the underneath, but couldn't decide on a colour so just left it. I will defiantly paint the underside and weld up all the seams on the floor pan and the horn cover when I do it again. I may even add a little more braising on the damaged part of the frame as it looks brilliant underneath the clear powder.
Cheers Gary
GLscoot

ducksta wrote:could you have the powder coat colour matched then sprayed and buffed?
Possibly, but wouldn't last long. The powder coater said I would be lucky to get 12 months out of the scooter without some of the seams starting to rust. Apparently its impossible to get all the condensation out of the frame as it is spot welded, if you know what I mean. I think get metal galvanised is the only solution, which I thought about and asked, but was told the metal is to thin to be galvanised. May look into that, galvanise the parts, buff down with wire brush and then clear lacquer powder.
This was a project that was always going to evolve, you would be amazed what a difference changing the colour of the wheel rims & cylinder cover can make to the scooter.
Gary
cartmel808
Main scooter: 1975 Vespa Rally 200 Femsa

Panel beater has done an excellent job there mate.... you'd be hard pressed to notice there'd been any damage - considering the mess it was when it happened!

I think it just adds to the already lovely patina of scooter mate.... result :D
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information